Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Improved Insert Printer!

The card-sleeve inserts on HeartOfTheCards.com are incredibly useful for Weiss Schwarz players like me who can't read Japanese (I probably never would have tried Weiss Schwarz if those printouts didn't exist). However, they are very inconvenient to print and cut, so I wanted to improve them.

Enter the "Improved Insert Printer".
I made an Excel document that easily takes a list of cards and prints out paper sleeve-inserts. Then, you put them in a card sleeve with your Japanese card and play Weiss Schwarz!

Download it HERE 

The full instructions are in the document.
It requires Excel 2007 or newer, and you will need to enable Macro Content if it asks you.

I'll continue to improve it, so if you have any questions or suggestions, let me know :)

(and thanks again to HeartOfTheCards.com. My Improved Insert Printer uses their translations, but please note that none of them are included in the file. Users must go to HeartOfTheCards.com, get the .txt translation files, and paste them into my document.)

12 comments:

  1. Looks cool. Only problem is, the actual card text won't appear on my sheet (Excel 2007 if it makes any difference). The names, the souls values etc all appear, but not the card text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I use Excel 2007 too, so that shouldn't be the problem.

      Can you post your file (using google drive, or any other file hosting service), so I can check if it works on my machine?

      Delete
    2. http://puu.sh/3RUvf.xlsm here you go.

      Delete
    3. Ahh, I think I know the problem. The text boxes use a Macro to display the text, so it won't display if you have Macros disabled in your excel settings. You'll need to allow macros in excel. Let me know if you want help doing that.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. http://www.djicomputer.com/SupportIntro.htm#2007Compat

      Following this and using the registry file contained I was able to get it to run fine - turns out excel's macro security will remain even after I explicitly turned it off in the program itself.


      Sigh.

      Delete
    6. I'm glad you got it working, and thanks for sharing the solution you found :)

      Delete
  2. Attempting to use this, Excel 2007, I toggle macros on - however when I paste in the translation.txt info from HotC as directed on the Data tab - it still comes up as data not found, and will not populate the insert printout tab. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to test things, I downloaded the test up above and it worked, so I have to be doing something wrong for the txt import from HotC

      Delete
  3. Disregard, did a stare and compare on the working example another person uploaded, found my problems and have it working. Thanks for making this available, cutting out the standard inserts on HotC is a pain-inducing experience for my arthritis - this will help immensely

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't suppose anyone still views this, but I was wondering if there was any way to be able to edit the spreadsheet itself? Say for instance there are other card games that could use inserts? I was trying to mirror it for another card game, but it's not working out too well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information. renting impresoras murcia

    ReplyDelete